Sage is here to help.
Feel like you could be eating better? Not sure what to change or where to look? Sage Nutirious Solutions make it easy for you to discover the wide, wonderful world of balanced, healthy, bangin' food.
Picadillo a la Criolla
Preparation Time: approximately 10 hours
Cooking Time: approximately 35 minutes
Serving Size: 1.5 cups (not including rice), Serves about 4
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon turmeric
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 small sweet onion, chopped
1 medium yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon minced jalapeno
1 1/2 pounds ground chicken or turkey breast
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, low sodium
1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
2 whole cloves
1/4 cup sliced pitted green olives
1/3 cup golden raisins
1 cup salt free chicken stock (as needed)
½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon Freshly ground pepper
1. In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the cumin seeds and turmeric, stirring consistently over moderate heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
2. Sauté the garlic, onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes.
3. Add the ground poultry, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon until no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
4. Add the Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes, oregano, cloves, olives, and raisins. Continue over moderate heat until most of the liquid has dissolved. Add stock to maintain consistency, as needed. Consistency should be wet without additional liquid running out of mixture.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer over low heat for 10-15 minutes, adding additional stock if necessary.
6. Serve with steamed brown or basmati rice.