Sage is here to help.

Feel like you could be eating better? Not sure what to change or where to look? Sage Nutritious Solutions make it easy for you to discover the wide, wonderful world of balanced, healthy, bangin' food.

Ask The Sage

Yes, about the 05/29/2014 thyroid cancer questions, you summed up the questions I have: "-My professional opinion on ThyCa’s low iodine recipes pre-RAI -Other dietary adjustments pre and post-thyroidectomy-Healthy BMI as it is associated with pre and post-thyroidectomy." Thanks for answering these three.

June 4, 2014

Thank you for your question on The-Sage.org! As a thyroid cancer survivor myself, I understand the complications associated with the low-iodine diet.

As anyone who is going through RAI (radioactive iodine therapy) knows, a low iodine diet is essential to prevent iodine toxicity. After going through the recipes found on the Thyroid Cancer Survivor’s Website, I think they are terrific. Stressing fresh fruits and vegetables, while finding ways around preparing favorite dishes is important to maintaining a "normal" life during this stressful period. The recipe book I found downloadable for free does not mention the type of salt recommended, though, so obviously this is a concern. Kosher salt is iodine free and chef-friendly, and is what I used during my low-iodine diet period. It can be used just as any other salt, and just has larger granules that allow it to be picked up easier.

Other dietary adjustments are not necessary pre- and post-thyroidectomy. Overall, a healthy diet rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties is recommended. As with any cancer diagnosis - there is reputable research to support this, as well. This includes a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, fish (except when on the low-iodine diet, of course), nuts, and seeds. After the thyroid has been removed, additional therapies center around balancing TSH levels through appropriate dosage of thyroid function-replacement medications rather than altering diet. A healthy lifestyle including physical activity is recommended during this period in the event a person’s weight fluctuates. Achieving a healthy BMI during this time might be difficult for some (and easier for others), but the recommended BMI levels (19-25) are no different. Understanding your ideal body weight (IBW) can be useful. You can calculate this for any person over 5 feet tall.

Men: 106 + 6 lb for every inch over 60"

Women: 100 + 5 lb for every inch over 60"

Add 10% if person has large frame

Subtract 10% if person has small frame

So long as you fall within 10% plus or minus of your IBW, you should be within a healthy weight. Some people also experience additional complications, which vary individually, so these folks should discuss them with a physician and dietitian on an in-person basis.

I hope this information helps. Happy Eating and Good Luck!
© 2011 - 2024 Zachari Breeding, All Rights Reserved
Site by Austin & Gabrielle